UK Student Visa Guide


Fast Facts

Visa type: Tier 4 Visa
Visa document required: Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Visa Application process: Online
Application cost: £348 per person
Healthcare: £225 for 12 month PG and £525 for 3 year UG (National Healthcare System)
Processing time: Three to four weeks (seasonal fluctuations)
Top three reasons for Tier 4 student visa refusal:  

  1. Missing / incomplete documents
  2. Failure to meet financial requirements
  3. Failed credibility interview

The three key milestones to UK study

Here are the things to focus on if you're an international student planning to study in the UK


Receiving an unconditional offer letter

You will receive an unconditional offer once you have applied to a university and have successfully met academic, financial and credibility requirements (this will differ by university).


Receiving your pre-CAS / CAS

After you accept your offer your university will usually send a draft or pre-CAS to confirm your details are correct. Once you have replied, they will process your official CAS and email it to you ASAP.


Applying for your student visa

You must apply for a visa online from the country that you normally live in. You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph taken, possibly be interviewed and submit your supporting documents either in-person or by post.


Your CAS and visa process in detail

About your CAS

The CAS is a unique reference number confirming that your university has agreed to be your Tier 4 sponsor and provides information about you and your study to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) as part of your visa application.

When will you receive your CAS?

  • When you have an unconditional offer and have completed your universities acceptance process (this often requires a deposit payment) you’re eligible for a CAS
  • Since visa applications can only be made a maximum of three months prior to the start of your degree course, don’t expect to receive your CAS before this time

Applying for your Tier 4 Visa

  1. Check the visa processing times at your local visa application centre before booking an appointment.
  2. Self-funded students need to submit evidence which confirms you have held the necessary funds in your bank account for at least 28 days.
  3. Maintenance fees are often overlooked by students, remember you need to show £1265 per month for universities within London and £1015 per month for those outside of London.
  4. Ensure you have the required documents see below for a few examples of what you will need:
  • CAS number (from your School)
  • Valid passport
  • One recent passport photograph that meets the UKVI requirements
  • Original qualification documents that are listed in the CAS eg. degree certificate or transcripts that confirm you have been awarded the degree (unless you are low risk)
  • Official translation of your qualification document (if it is not in English)
  • Original birth certificate
  • Financial Evidence : Original sponsor letter or original bank statements
  • Official translation if your bank statements are not in English
  • ATAS certificate (if required)
  • Proof of English (if required)
  • TB certificate (if required)
  • Letter of consent from your parents & evidence of relationship (if you are under 18 years old)

Enroly's Quick Tips for the UK


Tip 1

Print your CAS Document

Although not required, we recommend you print out and keep a copy of your CAS email. If you have any problems at the Visa Application Centre it can be useful to have this available.

Tip 2

Pay Your course fees early

If you have already paid all your course fees, your CAS will confirm this. If possible we recommend paying as much as you can to demonstrate you are a serious student.

Tip 3

prove your english with IELTS

If you are required to prove your English, IELTS is the only test you should consider - IELTS is the sole test considered to be a Secure English Language Test (SELT) outside the UK.


Need support with your enrolment?

Or know someone who does? Find out more about our free support service and impartial advice